Do the terms pioneers or entrepreneurs sound exclusive to you? Do they sound like titles for “other people?” Can you relate to them in any way? When you think of a pioneer or entrepreneur do you immediately think of those “who have boldly gone where no man has gone before,” or the “big hitters,” such as Bill Gates, Richard Branson etc.?
Let’s dial it down a bit. What do these terms actually mean? When someone pioneers, they do carry out a new work or go somewhere unexplored. In fact the word entrepreneur comes from the 13th century French verb entreprendre, meaning to do something or to undertake. The thing is this does not have to be something that nobody else has done before or a journey to where nobody has gone before.
Let’s take a look at Abraham for example
- The LORD had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.
- “I will make you into a great nation,and I will bless you;I will make your name great,and you will be a blessing.
- I will bless those who bless you,and whoever curses you I will curse;and all peoples on earthwill be blessed through you.”
- So Abram went, as the LORD had told him; and Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he set out from Harran. 5 He took his wife Sarai, his nephew Lot, all the possessions they had accumulated and the people they had acquired in Harran, and they set out for the land of Canaan, and they arrived there.
Later in Genesis 17 God said to Abram:
- No longer will you be called Abram; your name will be Abraham, for I made you a father of many nations.
We would certainly bracket Abraham as being a pioneer (the father of many nations) and also an entrepreneur (Genesis 13:2 – “Abram had become very wealthy in livestock and in silver and gold”) but he did not actually go where no one had gone before (there were plenty of people living in Canaan) and he did not start a business selling something that nobody else was selling (he dealt in livestock).
The key point is that Abraham did “go” and that in essence is the difference between pioneers/entrepreneurs and the rest of the population.
Have you got an idea, a burning desire to do something that you have never done before? If so, start now, go and develop your idea, plan your journey and step out of your box.
After all – “Eighty percent of success is showing up!” ― Woody Allen